On March 8, the court of the Southern District of New York unsealed an indictment charging Elena Branson, a dual citizen of Russia and the United States, with FARA violations, as well as visa fraud and making false statements to the FBI.
According to the indictment, beginning in 2011, Branson worked on behalf of the Russian government to advance Russian interests in the United States. Branson is alleged to have corresponded with Putin and met with a high-ranking Russia minister before founding a Russian propaganda center in New York City, using the center to host events and engage in pro-Russia public messaging at the direction of Russian officials. She allegedly also sought to influence American youths with an “I Love Russia” outreach campaign and hosted an annual youth forum in exchange for funding from Russia.
Branson also allegedly arranged meetings for herself and other Russian officials with U.S. government officials and executives at businesses based in the U.S., including a New York state senator.She also participated in a scheme to obtain fraudulent visas for Russian officials and their associates.
The Department of Justice (“DOJ”) alleges that Branson knew she was required to register as an agent of the Russian government but chose not to and instructed others on how to illegally avoid registering. In addition to criminal violations of FARA, she is charged with committing visa fraud and making false statements to the FBI – the latter stemming from a 2020 interview with the FBI in which Branson falsely claimed that she was never asked by Russian officials to coordinate any meetings between U.S. business leaders or politicians and Russian officials.
According to the DOJ, Branson left the United States for Russia in 2020 and remains at large.
For more information regarding FARA, please contact us using our online form.
An Informational Resource in a New Era of Foreign Agents Registration Act Enforcement.
Recent Blog Posts
- U.S Attorney Announces Charges Against Co-Director of Maryland Think Tank for Acting as an Unregistered Foreign Agent
- DOJ Sends Letter to Congress in Support of Proposed FARA Legislation, Repeal of LDA Exemption
- Trump Ally Acquitted of Violating FARA
- Federal Court Grants Casino Mogul Steve Wynn Dismissal of DOJ FARA Suit
- DOJ Sues Casino Mogul Steve Wynn to Compel FARA Registration
- Former US Ambassador to Plead Guilty to Violating Post-Employment Ethics Law in Qatar Representation
- Chinese National Charged with Acting as an Illegal Agent of the Chinese Government in the United States
- House Judiciary Committee Holds First FARA Hearing In 30 Years
- Dual Russia-U.S. Citizen Charged With FARA Violations, Remains At-Large
- DOJ Unseals Indictment Charging U.S. Resident With Acting As An Agent Of Egypt Government
- July 2023
- December 2022
- November 2022
- October 2022
- May 2022
- April 2022
- March 2022
- January 2022
- December 2021
- October 2021
- July 2021
- March 2021
- February 2021
- December 2020
- November 2020
- September 2020
- June 2020
- May 2020
- February 2020
- October 2019
- September 2019
- August 2019
- July 2019
- June 2019
- May 2019
- April 2019
- March 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019