On October 22, the Department of Justice filed criminal charges against Imaad Shah Zuberi, a Southern California venture capitalist, alleging violations of the Foreign Agents Registration Act (“FARA”) and other laws. Zuberi, who ran a venture capital firm called Avenue Ventures, has agreed to plead guilty to the charges.
The Department of Justice (“DOJ”) alleged that Zuberi used a portion of the funds he received through Avenue Ventures to attempt to persuade high-level U.S. public officials to take actions favorable to his clients. Specifically, DOJ alleged that ...
The Department of Education (DOE) appears to be stepping up scrutiny of American universities’ disclosures of foreign gifts and contracts. Several universities have received letters from the Department requesting information related to foreign gifts and contracts.
Section 117 of the Higher Education Act requires that institutions report to the federal government any gift or contract with a foreign source valued at $250,000 or more “considered alone or in combination with all other gifts from or contracts with that foreign source within a calendar year.” On September 26 ...
UPDATE: On March 18, 2021, Rafiekian’s FARA conviction was reinstated by the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. The Court opined that the circumstantial evidence and reasonable inferences were sufficient for the jury to rely on to convict Rafiekian.
. . .
On September 24th, Judge Trenga of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia set aside the conviction of former Michael Flynn associate Bijan Rafiekian. In July, a federal jury had convicted Rafiekian, who ran a consulting firm with Michael Flynn hired to advocate for the extradition of Turkish dissident cleric ...
An Informational Resource in a New Era of Foreign Agents Registration Act Enforcement.
Recent Blog Posts
- Former US Ambassador to Plead Guilty to Violating Post-Employment Ethics Law in Qatar Representation
- Chinese National Charged with Acting as an Illegal Agent of the Chinese Government in the United States
- House Judiciary Committee Holds First FARA Hearing In 30 Years
- Dual Russia-U.S. Citizen Charged With FARA Violations, Remains At-Large
- DOJ Unseals Indictment Charging U.S. Resident With Acting As An Agent Of Egypt Government
- DOJ Solicits Public Input on Potential Changes to FARA
- Task Force on FARA Releases Report
- Former Trump Campaign Adviser Charged with Acting as an Agent of UAE Government
- Foreign Agent Convictions of Former Michael Flynn Associate Reinstated
- Former Prosecutor Jennifer Gellie Reportedly Tapped as FARA Unit Head